Our seasoned litigators are ready to tackle whatever employment issue you may have, in state or federal court, or in any of the many administrative agencies that oversee our complex system of labor and employment laws.
Discrimination, harassment and retaliation
We all hope that our workplaces are free from unlawful discrimination, harassment and retaliation. But when needed, Trevett Cristo’s employment attorneys handle all types of these cases and appeals before federal and state courts, as well as before agencies such as the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (U.S. EEOC) and the New York State Division of Human Rights (NYS DHR).
- Counsel and litigation on the wide range of employment issues affecting individuals and groups, including class actions
- Discrimination, harassment (hostile work environment) and retaliation cases – involving protected classes such as race, color, national origin, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), disability, age, citizenship status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation (including perceived sexual orientation), lawful use of any product or lawful recreational activities when not at work, military status or service, observance of Sabbath, political activities, use of service dog, criminal accusation, and domestic violence victim status – under state and federal laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VII, Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Equal Pay Act (EPA), Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA), Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA), federal Civil Rights Acts, and New York Human Rights, Public Authorities, Labor, Civil Service, and Workers' Compensation laws
Wage and Hour
Just like everyone is entitled to a lawful work environment, everyone is also entitled to fair payment for their work. Unfortunately, the wage and hour issues under federal and state laws such as the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the New York Labor Law can be daunting. Trevett Cristo’s employment attorneys handle such issues, including proper overtime pay and classification as exempt from overtime rules, and collective and class action litigation.
- Wage and hour issues, such as overtime and exemption classification, under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and related state and federal laws.
Employment & Severance Agreements
Entering into and leaving an employment relationship should not be taken lightly due to the importance of everyone’s need to make a living. Because our attorneys are skilled and experienced in contract negotiations, drafting and review, as well as employment benefits, they stand ready to help individuals at all levels of employment – from entry level employees, to managers, to top level executives – make the right decisions for themselves and their careers.
- Employment contract negotiation and drafting
- Breach of employment contract and wrongful termination cases
- Severance, separation or termination agreement review, negotiation and drafting
- Executive contracts and compensation negotiation, amendment and termination
- Arbitration, mediation and negotiation, as appropriate
- Restrictive covenants such as non-competition, non-solicitation, confidentiality, trade secret and intellectual property agreements.
Individual and Executive Disputes, and Other Individual Issues
Employment relationships can take wrong turns in unexpected ways. We represent a wide array of individuals at all levels of employment in many fields involved in complex employment disputes in the form of informal negotiations, mediations and arbitrations, litigation, and anything we can do to solve the problem when an employment relationship sours. As experienced litigators, we use these tools to help our clients achieve favorable outcomes in undesirable situations. Our employment attorneys are ready to handle many cases, including the ones listed below:
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights (USERRA) cases
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) issues
- Public employee discipline, disability and retirement cases
- Social security disability and workers’ compensation cases
- Unemployment matters
- Whistleblower actions
- Litigation and appeals of all individual employment matters in federal and state courts and administrative agencies including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (U.S. EEOC) and the New York State Division of Human Rights (NYS DHR).